Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sweet Sixteen.







So the last post "frankenfinger" has been moved.  I don't want to horrify you guys every time you would like to come to my blog.  If you for some reason feel the need to look at the pictures again, they are now under the tab "my thumb. 


Haley and I finished our sweet sixteen cake just in time today! Chef Nicholas called times up and I was gluing down the last letter of "happy birthday".  The rules were that it had to be a sweet sixteen cake, with a 10 inch bottom, and a 6 inch round top.  After a long list of ideas, Haley and I decided on a ladybug themed cake.  The hardest part was keeping the design from being too childish.  We had several wonderful cake ideas for a 4 year olds birthday, but we had to tweak the design to make it appropriate for a sweet sixteen cake. The cake is covered in fondant, but the decorations are all made out of a mix between fondant and gum paste.  Tomorrow I start my final project.... my wedding cake.  It will be three tiers, and it has to be a winter wedding cake.  We have a whole week to finish it, but time seems to fly by in the kitchen.  I am happy with my design, but we will see if I can pull it off!  Wish me luck!     

2 comments:

Kim said...

This is so CUTE Emily!!!! You are doing a fabulous job. I was watching Next Top Baker or something like that, and their cakes were just awful! You could easily win! You look really happy. Congrats to you!

Unknown said...

Hi Emily, I will take the same course you took in Chicago, and I just found your blog. It is perfect as a reference of what I will be learning...Thank you so much for posting so many interesting stories and pics... Good luck in your new career!