Tuesday, November 9, 2010

First Wedding Cake




I hate to be the one to tell you this, but God made an even better combination then men and women.  It's chocolate and peanut butter.  You'd think you couldn't make chocolate any better, but you can.  Just add peanut butter.  Every time I get a recipe with chocolate, I'm only thinking about how I can add peanut butter.  Well today on the train this guy was pulling Reese's Peanut butter cups out of his pocket, which hello... are my FAVORITE!  I think he knew they were my favorite, because he was slowly unwrapping them and shoving them in his mouth.  He had huge pockets because he must have pulled out at least six.  I didn't consider him to be an attractive man, but the more he pulled out those peanut butter cups, the cuter he got.  Soon I started wondering how long I would have to flirt with him to get him to share one.  (By share I mean.. devour and he'd never see it again)  Then I started feeling like a bad person, because if ya think about it, that's just a lesser version of prostitution.  I'm sure Reese's Peanut butter cups has been the gateway drug for many prostitutes.  Understandable, because you now know, there is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter.  


So normally I'm not a fan of the color teal.  It is normally paired with pink, and then we are dangerously teetering on the boarder of "bad 80's prom night".  Well, leave it to Chef Nicholas to transform teal into a workable color for a beautiful wedding cake.  This is my first official wedding cake.  It took us all last week to assemble, so hopefully I will be able to speed up that process in the future.






So Haley and I are partners for our birthday cake project.  We have to make a two-tier birthday cake with a partner for a class project.  This was horrifying to wonder who my partner might be, but I lucked out to the Nth degree!  Haley is amazing, personality and talent wise.  We decided today that we ought to start designing our cake.  We could wing it on game day, but then it would definitely end up being shaped like some sort of food item.  See, not only are Haley and I both freakishly tall for girls, but we are also fat girls at heart.  She knows what it's like to be a 750 lb. woman trapped in a quasi-healthy-extremely-tall girl's body.  Needless to say we easily bonded, and our birthday cake is going to be saaaweet.


Walking home tonight, I was sorta in an annoyed mood and I had no way of relieving it through a healthy medium.  Music wasn't working, I was too tired to run, and if I screamed I'd probably scare the neighborhood kids.  I resorted to stomping on leaves like a four-year-old throwing a tantrum.  It was actually super relieving.  Every time I would see a crunchy leaf, I would slam my red sneaker on it so hard.  Then I would twist my ankle, just to be sure it was completed smushed into the pavement.  This kid was sitting on his porch and he looked at me like "lady... you've got issues".  I didn't care though.   I was having too much fun smashing every leaf between my house and the train station.  I just can't stand seeing people go through hard things.  I wish it was me instead.  Not because I'm a good person, but because I'm so selfish I can't stand to watch helplessly.  If I scrape my knee, it stings.  But if my nephew runs to me with his tears and his scraped knee it just burns!  He would look at me with those tear-filled blue eyes, begging me to take the pain away.  I hated that all I could do was kiss those sweet tears away and promise him better days.  They always tell you about how everyone in life falls down and scrapes their knee.  But what they don't tell you, is that you have to watch everyone around you fall and scarpe their knee too.  That's just jacked up.  I'm gonna leave y'all on that uplifting note.  Don't worry though, even if you not only scrape your knee, but fall flat on your face... I'll be there for ya.. armed with band-aids :)  

2 comments:

Erin Collins said...

Emily that looks BEAUTIFUL! I love it! You are so talented!!

Ana Lee said...

You are NEVER short of band-aids! This little post made me tear a little, you are one of the most amazing women I have ever been privileged to call my dear friend. I hope everything is going well with everyone in your life!