Monday, November 29, 2010

Rainy Thoughts.
























Before we left for Thanksgiving break we learned about quilling, and brush embroidery. Quilling is a technique where you wrap strips of gum paste into shapes using a special tool. You can then arrange those shapes to make large shapes. I know... pretty intense, try and keep up. Then brush embroidery is a mixture of piping and brushwork. You pipe a double line of royal icing, then you use a wetted brush to pull the icing into the center of your design. The end result is a piped design that resembles embroidery.
























It's hard to believe that I only have three weeks of cake school left. This week we are working on sculpted cake, next week a sweet sixteen cake, and then our final wedding cake project. I will be excited when my wedding cake is completed, then I can stop stressing about my design. But it will be equally tragic, because it will mean cake school is over. It's not just cake school ending, it's leaving my loved cake school friends, and the end of another chapter in my life. But it's not the end yet, so I can just procrastinate that for later.

When I walk home at night I sometimes think about something deep and profound, but the other 98% of the time I'm thinking about something retarded. I missed my express train home today, so I had to walk the 6 or 7 blocks to the further train. Of course it was pouring train, it always is when I miss my train. This guaranteed I would be nice and damp for my final walk home. So while I was walking I could feel the rain dripping down my cheeks. I started thinking "wow... it's like I'm crying... but I'm not even crying". *Pause* *my neighbors are yelling and I want to hear this* Ok where was I... Oh yeah then I started thinking "what if the rain drips into my ears, into my headphones, and electrocutes me. It's a direct line to my brain, would I die? Or just get briefly shocked?" While I was thinking, I slipped on a devilish leaf and right onto the pavement. Well I just laughed at the universe "black jeans sucker! can't tell they're wet at alllll!". Well it still got the last laugh, it was dirty rain water, so it felt like a fine grade of sandpaper in my jeans. That's when I like to play the "that would've suck more" game in my head. I'll give you an example... I could have fallen on some little girl's cat and killed it... that would've sucked more. Or... I could have fallen into quick dry cement and had to choose between my jeans or getting up... that would've sucked more.

I hope everyone had an amazing Turkey day. I'm thankful for foods that are orange. I am all about the carrots, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie when it comes to the big feast fest. I got in as much time as I could holding my beautiful baby niece, and tried to be as lazy as humanly possible. I was successful, and it turned out to be a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm gonna go call my Gram now. It's her birthday! Happy Birthday Gram!

No comments: