Friday, October 8, 2010

Chocolate Old Men.

It was supposed to be "Chocolate & Old Men", it's amazing how crucial the "&" is.  After a week of messy, melty, muddled chocolate we got to decorate a cake!  The three layers are covered in red modeling chocolate, and the rest is made out of plain white & dark chocolate.  It's not really my style, but I thought it was a cool design nonetheless.  Check it out!





I'm excited I now know how to work with chocolate, but I don't think it's my forte.  If anything because I get frustrated with it.  Your hands naturally melt the chocolate pieces, but you have to hold it there to wait for the piped chocolate to harden into place.  Hello catch 22! With the use of plastic scaling containers, and a large amount of pieces to work with, I was able to survive the Friday.  But I think when someone asks me to do a cake in all chocolate I will be like, "really?.... all chocolate?"  Too much of a good thing is chocolatey mess.


Aside for chocolate cakes, I have deem this my old man day.  This morning I was walking to the train station when I caught eyes with this sweet old man tending to his garden.
"What's your name?!"
"Emily! What's yours?!"
"Joseph! You're lovely!"
I giggled like a school girl, unsure of what to say next. You're lovely too? Then he follow with...
"I'm old enough to be your Grandpa!" (I bet this gets the ladies every time... )


I made it onto the train and off at my next stop.  I babysit three beautiful boys a couple times a week for some 'Uncle Sam free" money. I started walking towards this house, and I walked past this old man pushing his walker along the sidewalk.  I could hear the wheels of his walker start to speed up and then..
"Heeey purdy lady!"
"Good Morning!"
"You got a boyfriend?"
"Umm... yeah" (Yeah I lied to an old man. Bad karma for 7 years)
"Well I gots me a girlfriend! Pretty just like you!"
"She's a lucky girl!"


I'm not sure what was in the air this morning, but old men today were out & about, bringing their A-game!  Yeah that's right.  I may be single, but I have options.


But you haven't heard the best old man story.  I saw MY old man on the train yesterday!  Just like always I looked for him on the platform, no old man in sight.  I started to fiddle with my phone and when I looked up, there he was!  It turns out that he had family in town for a while, and then I was never able to catch my normal train after that.  We had so much to catch up on, I wish the train would have slowed down.  I told him about this blog, but I don't think he really understood what it was.  I watched him stroll out the doors at his stop and my heart sank a little, not sure when I'm gonna see him again.  So there it is... my day filled with sweet chocolate & sweet old men.



1 comment:

Katie Carranza said...

Emily! I love your blog! You crack me up! Keep up the good work, girl!