Sunday, October 3, 2010

Kings of Pastry




Last night I went to go see "Kings of Pastry", and it was amazing!  Chef Jacquy has the best sense of humor, and he is beyond entertaining to watch.  I think it meant so much more to my friends and I, since we know Chef Jacquy and Chef Sebastien.  Competing for M.O.F is exhausting, and it was heart wrenching to see how stressed and tired our instructor was.  The sugar and chocolate pieces were stunning, and all of the pastries they created looked delicious!  At one point another Chef's sugar piece shattered into pieces, and this grown man just burst into tears.  I thought back to when I cried about a stupid pastillage showpiece and I started to tear up for this poor Chef.  Well, my sympathy for him was short lived because he earned the M.O.F!  He pulled it together, added some pieces to what was left of his showpiece, and won!








Being girls, and having just watched a whole film on pastry, we went on a search for something delicious.  Since it was raining and bitter cold outside, we decided to go try out a gourmet hot chocolate place.  I decided to be brave and try out their rich dark hot chocolate.  (I know... I like to live life on the edge, I even jaywalked that same night)  I think I paid less for my college tuition than that cup of hot chocolate, but it was going to be worth it.  I took my first sip and burned my tongue so badly! 22 years of life and I'm still surprised when my HOT chocolate is hot.  Five more sips... I'm in a diabetic coma.. two more sips and I'm done.  I love rich desserts, but I could barely drink a tablespoon of this.  This is like an alcoholic saying a drink is too strong, trust me it was rich.




On the train ride home the rain started pouring down.  My brother and his wife were away last night, but my neighbors knew I wasn't home yet, so they came and got me at the train station.  Yeah they are so getting into heaven.  I love them.  I warmed up at their place and we started talking about the scariest movies we've seen.  This then of course led to... "hey we should watch a scary movie tonight!"  I changed into my pjs and we watched the creepiest movie.  Afterwards, I walked back up to my apartment  and I opened the door to a dark room.  "Umm... I did not think this plan through".  Of all the nights I could have watched a creepy movie!  I ran to my room, made a wall of pillows around my whole body, and slept with my hoodie over my head.  I will be 48 yrs old and still believe that a wall of pillows will protect me from psychopaths and ghosts.  Ignorance is bliss.

No comments: