Sunday, October 17, 2010

Green Sprinkles.

I must apologize for my lack of blogging this week.  I'm such a bad blog mother!  I promise to tell you what I did last week, but first I must tell you about my traumatic day.  I was walking home from the train after church and I was slightly annoyed.  I left my cardigan on the train and when I went to lost & found, the lady just asked me "what the h*** is a cardigan?!".  I explained it was a thin sweater type thing with buttons, girls wear them.  She just looked at me like "do I look like a man to you or something".  Long story short I had to kiss my cardigan goodbye.  When I see a homeless man wearing my cardigan on a train this week I'm gonna cry.


So I was walking home with my neighbor Jessica and I felt bad because during our conversation I was only thinking, "aww man I really liked that cardigan".  Well I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and I walked home on the sidewalk.  You always want to walk in the street, on the other side of the cars.  These neighborhoods fill their sidewalks with plants & trees, making it a battlefield of insects, bird poop, and sprinklers.  I got into Jessica's house and I looked down to see I was covered in little green sprinkles.  I figured it was just pollen or something.  Then I decided to bring one of the green sprinkles on my arm up to eye level to examine it.  Suddenly the neon green sprinkle wiggled... it was ALIVE!  I consider myself to be about medium on the girly-ness level.  I like camping, but I'm not a tomboy.  But I draw the line at being covered in live petri dish sized insects.  I exclaimed "I'm covered in green things!".  Rebekeh was like "what do you mean you're covered in green things?"  I could feel the panic inside me make forming normal sentences difficult.  "They are green... and they are moving.. they are all over me! Kill them!"  Rebekeh grabbed tissue and started brushing them off.  Then we examined my hair and couldn't find anymore.  But that wasn't good enough.  I got upstairs, and jumped into the shower.  I started violently scrubbing my hair while imagining the ten o'clock news. "A woman was found in her apartment today, brutally attacked my an infestation of baby caterpillars, tonight at ten".  Once I was sufficiently confident that all of the green had sprinkles had met with a watery grave, I stepped out of the bathroom with my nappy wet dog hair to my sweet brother... "how was church?".


























I haven't blogged very much this week because there isn't very much to report!  We are making several types of sponges and fillings to assemble different cakes.  Some of the sponges are thick, some are crunchy, and they are baked in all different types of containers.  Last week we simply stenciled the batter onto parchment paper and baked it.  We were tested on making one type of sponge.  It was nerve wracking and I almost didn't whip my egg whites firm enough.  But you can all exhale, because my batter came out great!  Then on Friday, my partner Gulia and I assembled a cake filled with orange marmelade, coffee strussel, orange japonais, and coffee pastry cream.  We also made cocoa nib crisp, chocolate genoise, and lemon cream. We still have quite a few more cakes to assemble.  We froze this cake, and we will be frosting it next week.


No comments: