Friday, October 1, 2010

Sugar Class Cake


Here it is!  Today we assembled our cakes and used all of our sugar decorations to design this!  I cannot say enough how much I love working with sugar.  Oh and as promised... no tear-filled Friday, not even furrowed brow of concern.  Today was a fabulously tiring day and I'm so glad all of my favorite pieces made it onto my cake.  Don't be fooled though, these final pieces are the products after several failures.  The first bird I made out of blown sugar looked like a wiener dog.  I couldn't just throw this cake away, so I decided to take it home on the train.  Brown line... to the red line... to a text message to my brother to come get me.  He, being a total sweetheart, came and got me so I wouldn't have to make the last transfer.  The train ride home was as smooth as chunky peanut butter.  At one point a leaf snapped off and everyone around me let out a loud gasp, as if someone had just stabbed me.  When I got home I put that leaf under our gas stove and sealed it back on, good as new.  Everyone had nothing but sweet things to say.  My favorite was this cute pregnant woman who was asking me questions about how everything was made.  Or, a gentleman who said, "Lady, that is an insanely beautiful cake, and you are a *beep*ing crazy person to bring it on a train".  Well it is now home safe.  Tonight I'm off to see "Kings of Pastry".  Did y'all watch the trailer?  No? Go watch it! 







3 comments:

bloggingdad said...

That is so beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

Emily, this is a true work of art, how beautiful! Love the colors too! I'm coming to you when my kids get married and have you design their cakes.

Summer Pixton said...

Your cake is stunning! I only wish that I would have offered to have picked you up- now that I know where your school is- so you didn't have to take it on the train! Although it did make for some fabulous blogging material! Thanks so much for inviting me to read your blog- it is a blast! And I agree the squirrels are planning to take over Chicago! Next time you bring home a cake I let me know so that I can come and get you- I owe you a favor after making you late! Unless you want to show your masterpiece to the whole world on the train- which thing I can understand!