Thursday, September 30, 2010

Love & Sugar

I'm in love with cooked isomalt (pure artificial sugar made for diabetics).  If it was a man I would marry him and be very much in love.  Talk about perfection.  Working with sugar is kinda similar to dating, it's annoying, it hurts sometimes, but it definitely pays off when it works out.  Tomorrow is Friday and I'm so depressed that our sugar week is over.  I could do this and only this for the rest of my time in cake school and be very happy.  I may not be a natural born sugar artist, but I understand why people devote their lives to mastering this skill.






Chef Scott's demo on pulling a sugar ribbon....


Today we learned how to pull sugar ribbon.  It's hard to do!  During demo Chef Scott made it look easy as pie, and then we were set free to try it.  Luckily, when I went to make my sugar ribbon I had Chef Scott by my side giving me the play-by-play... "now flip it over", "smooth out both sides equally", "roll down the top"... the end result was lovely green & black pulled sugar ribbon.  We didn't have to have a ribbon for our cake tomorrow, but I already hand my heart set on making one, so I'm so glad it turned out!  Once my ribbon cooled on the marble table, I heated up a knife and cut it into strips.  It is now ready for tomorrow!










Here is the ribbon cooling on the marble counter....




http://www.frenchpastryschool.com/follow_us/10_gma.html


Chef Jacquy (Instructor & Co-founder of the School) was on Good Morning America this morning.  He is part of the documentary coming out, Kings of Pastry.  I'm seeing it this Saturday night, I can't wait!


Watch the trailer!
http://kingsofpastry.com/

No comments: