Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Knives & Thumbs.

Today in class we became familiar with the kitchen. We practiced scaling our ingredients for our recipes, and practiced basic cooking skills. Towards the end of class we had a demonstration on proper knife techniques. Our instructor was truly concerned about our safety, and wanted to be sure that we understood the harm that could come from improperly using a knife. He told us the story about how he was cutting baby back ribs, he looked up to talk to his brother, and sliced his thumb clean off! I was expecting a story about getting cut and how it stings... but cutting off your thumb!!! I wasn't nervous to practice my knife skills before, but now I was a little unsure about it. As I was ready to slice into my apple all I could do was look down at my thumbs and think... "would someone marry me someday if I didn't have a thumb?". I know.. dramatic once? But, once I saw how perfectly mended my instructor's thumb was I cut into my apple no problem. I'm happy to report I am still the proud owner of two thumbs.

thumbs up!

No comments: