Monday, September 20, 2010

Molds.



I had my second stage at "Henri" last Saturday night.  It is the sister restaurant to "The Gage" located off Michigan avenue.  It was very different from my stage at Rolph's, but equally beneficial.  I assisted the pastry chef there making dough, shaving chocolate, rolling puff pastry, and slicing sugared jelly.  The staff was incredibly friendly, everyone who passed by our section introduced themselves and shook my hand (even when it was covered in chocolate).  I was impressed by the friendliness towards someone who they knew would only be there for a night! Also the kitchen was very clean.  For all my fellow germophobes out there, I have seen every part of that kitchen and I would gladly eat there!

My experience walking to the train this morning was much more animal friendly.  I saw approximately 2400 squirrels, so finally I was like "this is ridiculous I'm taking a picture".  Here is my picture.



I think we have made a huge mistake in overlooking the fact that squirrels are mass producing like crazy!  At least in our neighborhood I know they outnumber us 2 to 1.  Today this squirrel looked at me and thought to himself "stupid human, someday you will be my slave".  I'm just sayin, they look cute now but I would start sleeping with one eye open.

Ok so in school today we are learning about making molds.  No, not the mold you find on your PB&J sandwich, or the mold that invades unhygienic people's bathrooms.  This is the type of mold you pour yummy chocolate into and you come out with the same yummy chocolate, but in an awesome shape.  We cake designers want to make a mold out of whatever we want, so that we can shape yummy things into whatever we want.  Chef Scott showed us how to make a mold out of....



Coco Powder....


Corn Starch....


Gelatin....


Silicone... 


and a two-part mold made with silicone...



This is the machine that tempers our chocolate.  I think it should replace the drinking fountain in the hallway, but for some reason the school didn't go for it.   I'm gonna buy one for my room.  How wonderful would that be? You make popcorn... douse it in chocolate... you buy some almonds... douse it in chocolate... you grill a steak.... douse... ok that's too far.  But ya get the idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
On you bad days just take a shot of chocolate and all will be better.
I think we should consider one for our kitchen. Love, Mom