Sunday, September 12, 2010

My First Stage (it rhymes with collage, not gage)







Yesterday morning I had my first stage! What is a stage you ask? Well it is a fancy way of saying I job shadowed an amazing pastry chef. It all started when my instructor let it slip that he first started at Rolf's Patisserie, which is right by where I live. I then transformed into an obnoxious little sister incessantly asking him for the doorway into a stage there. He, being used to my endless questions, gave me the contact informations and the "what-to-do's". So everyone clap for Chef Scott because long story short, Chef Ford Culbertson (Co-Owner & Executive Pastry Chef of Rolph's Patisserie) let me come into his kitchen yesterday!

The American Culinary Federation’s 2009 Pastry Chef of the Year for the Central Region

My brother and his wife were running a 5k that morning so I had to turn to Plan B... beautiful public transportation. I got an early start and walked for the bus, thankfully last minute my brother shoved an umbrella into my bag. I get walking and it starts to mist, being a stubborn mule I refuse to pull out my umbrella. Well Chicago showed me, because two seconds later it was pouring. I jumped on a bus and then walked a little bit more to the patisserie. It was then that I truly proved to myself my desire to be a wedding cake designer. It's earlier than is legal on a Saturday morning, I'm in the pouring ran in a short-sleeved shirt, and I'm carrying three-hundred bags. The usual Emily would be like... ummm I think I've made a huge mistake. But the weird dream-crazed Emily could only think "great... now the bottom of my pants are going to be wet when I meet Chef Ford".


I got into the patisserie and met Chef Ford! After all the creepy internet reading I had done on him, I felt like I was meeting a celebrity. Yes I now know the names of his kids, and where he met his wife. Yeah I know... creepy.  He was extremely friendly and he showed me where to change into my uniform. After I changed I wasn't sure what to do next! Chef Ford was no where to be found and all I could do was think "uhhh Chef Scott.. now what?". I must have looked like a lost puppy because soon this sweet lady told me I could come help her make carmel apples. That was all it took! Soon I was in a group of 5 or 6 girls who kept switching off starting me on different projects. It was hard work, but it was incredibly fun! Well most of it was. One of my projects was to shave milk chocolate over three cookie sheets filled with miniature chocolate cakes. It was done by holding a slab of chocolate in one hand, and a paring knife in the other. I thought my wrist was going to be permanently jammed in a 90 degree angle. I could hear Chef Scott in my head "I may have not known how to shave chocolate, but after I did three cookie sheets of chocolate shavings... believe me I knew how to shave chocolate".


The ladies I worked with were incredibly sweet and patient with me. One time I was placing a chocolate covered pastry in a small cupcake wrapping, I was balancing it on a small spatula when in toppled onto the counter top first... completely ruined. I gasped and the lady next to me just laughed and told me to keep going. I then looked down at my apron, it was covered in whip cream, chocolate, and orange melted chocolate. Chef Scott was in my head again "If you look like a mess, with your apron just covered in chocolate and such, then people will think you're a mess". Ahh get out of my head! Luckily I have a new apron for tomorrow, so he will never have to know.  Eight hours later and it was time for me to go. Luckily the manager asked me "So are you coming back?" I felt like saying "you seriously want me back?" But I just said "Yeah if Chef Ford will let me". He said that he was sure he would! Well folks... I made the cut.




After the long day I came home and crashed for the night.... NOT.  I made the trek down to the city and met up with one of my best friends, Ana Lee! We went to a delicious German restaurant, then slumber partied it at her hotel room eating gourmet Ben & Jerry's. 





This has nothing to do with cake school. I'm sure you all have seen the movie Julie & Julia. Well in one part of the movie she said that there is nothing more wonderful than butter. I completely agreed! I thought it was pure scripture. But then I decided there is something better... Sunday naps. You can have a long week, an even longer weekend, and then in one Sunday nap you are back at the top of your game. This is me if I don't have a Sunday nap...






Compliments of the blog "Hyperbole and a Half"

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Emily,
Love to read each day what you are doing. You blog is great. Hope you have a good week. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Emily,

Your blog is adorable and you are adorable. So upbeat and fun. And we can live your experience right along with you. Thanks for sharing!

Love,

Judy

Emily said...

love it em!! it makes me miss you and your random adventures! so excited for you finally doing it :) totally jealous you and analee got to play :( just know we are still waiting for our provo visit!! keep blogging :) love you!!