Thursday, September 23, 2010

Latex Gloves

I really have a problem wearing gloves in class.  I would much rather get paint all over my hands, ruin my pastillage pieces, or burn my fingers with sugar rather than wear those stinkin gloves.  I get made fun of for it, and people ask me what my deal is with gloves.  At first I just figured I didn't like loosing my sense of touch, or that nothing good comes from people who wear gloves.  Think about it... dentist, surgeons, unsanitary restaurant employees, the list goes on and on... But I figured out the real reason.  Remember when you just hit puberty and you were crushing pretty hard on a guy?  Remember when you two nervously held hands for the first time....  Well there ya have it.  Wearing those gloves is like being eternally stuck holding hands with a teenage boy's clammy fingers.  No bueno. 


So for the past week or so I've riden home on the train with this old man.  If he was about six decades younger I'd probably have a crush on him.  We were always standing on the platform together waiting for our train.  So, last week I finally sat next to him and we became instant friends.  Well this week he has been a no show!  I'm sure it's just me, but it has been totally disappointing.  He's probably at home, eating popcorn, happy as a clam...  "Emily who?"  On Monday I shrugged it off, Tuesday I got thinking this kinda sucks, and now it's Thursday and I am having old man withdrawals.  There is a big difference between riding the train home, staring out the window, and counting down the stops till you're home; and, talking incessantly till it's suddenly time to go.  I keep waiting on the platform hoping he'll come stumbling through the gate.  My train comes and I'm faced with the dilema, "should I wait?!"  No that's totally ridiculous, so I just get on the train and slump depressed in my seat.  Old man if you are out there, I miss my train buddy. 


What? You want to know about cake school?  Geez you readers are needy.  Yesterday and today, as promised, was filled with more airbrushing.  After the dots & lines we moved onto a dagger stroke.  Then today we painted mountains, clouds, smoke, and some other stuff.  Tomorrow for our proficiency we have to airbrush wood flooring on a square cake, and airbrush stencils on a round cake.  I'm kinda freaking out about it.  Anyone who knows me, knows my natural artistic ability... and that it's zero.  If I can pull this off tomorrow, than anyone reading this can also do it.  Wish me luck!

My Mountains & Clouds.

Chef Scott demonstrating wood flooring. 

2 comments:

Erin Collins said...

Hahaha Emily you are so funny... I'm sad you don't have your train buddy anymore! I hate gloves too but never thought about the reason... so true!!

Anonymous said...

Emily!! I hope he's not sick or something!!! If he shows up again, give him your cell so he can text when he's not gonna show up!!

- Kim T.