Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Yes... more pastillage.

I'm sorry for not posting last night, I'm sure many of you could not sleep.  I must have thrown your whole bedtime routine off balance.  Well that's because I didn't have much to report, this entire week is solely for designing our showpieces.  We must make and re-makes our leaves, stems, triangles, and pebbles until they are perfect.  Perfection will never come in a week, but at least we will be a smidge closer after all of this practice.  I am half way through the week and I am on my fourth batch of pastillage.  If you were wondering, pastillage is simply made out of powdered sugar, vinegar, and gelatin.  Here I am working on my showpiece....



If you would like an update on the infamous fruit cakes, they are done baking and still soaking.  By the time we get them they will be drenched in booze and glycerin.  My sister-in-law had a good idea, when I bring it home we are going to set it on fire.  I'm curious to see how long it will burn for.  It looks like the dog will live to see another day.


Raisins much?

So my instructor's wife is making a wedding cake for her cousin.  She has been working on the wedding cake topper in our classroom.  She let me take a picture of the finished product.  All of these flowers were made by hand out of sugar.  Amazing huh?


2 comments:

Stella said...

i read your post. and the flowers are really nice. is it chocolate?

Emily Bean said...

Hey Stella! I'm sorry I haven't been monitoring this blog since school. That isn't chocolate. It's pastillage which is a type of sugar mixture. It dries very quickly, but the downside is that it is very brittle.